Humid Tropics Part 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who were the first people to define the tropics?
- -The Greeks.
- -They knew the earth was round and divided it into three zones
- - frigid, temperate, and torrid
What defines the Tropics?
- 1. Tropic of Cancer
- 2. Tropic of Capricorn
- -At one point it was connected to the mainland, but a sea level change led to isolation.
- -Indonesia, New guinea, Trinidad
- -broke off a continent
- -Madagascar, New Zealand, New Caledonia
- -Isolated out in the ocean.
- -Two types: volcanic and coral.
- -Hawaii, Easter Island, Tahiti, Bahamas
Intertropical Convergence Zones
drives all weather in the tropics. Fluctuates giving wet and dry seasons in the subtropics
Large Low pressures in West Indies called
Large Low pressures in China called
Large Low pressures in Australia called
Large Low pressures in India
Salt water gradients
- -SUB. TROPICAL: HIGH SALINITY
- -TROPICS/NEAR EQUATOR: LOW SALINITY
- -HIGH LATITUDES: LOW SALINITY
- -Tropics/Near Equator: Lots of Rain
- -High Latitudes: Wet
- -Low Latitudes: Dry
- -Blue and clear
- -few nutrients
- -Ex. Gulf stream
- -Green because of the algae.
- -Ex. California, Peru
-Moon changes tides by 45 minutes each day. --Highest and lowest during new and full moons
Types of Beaches
- 1. Sediment by Rivers
- 2. Biological Beaches
Types of Sands
- 1. Brown Sand
- -sediment from rivers
- 2. Black Sand
- -Hawaiin Islands
- 3. White Sand
- -biological:living things
-near shore, fringes the coastline
Origin of Coral Reefs
- 1. Volcanic Island
- 2. Fringing Reef
- 3. Barrier Reef
- 4. Atoll
- 5. Seamount
Where are coral reefs?
- 1. 30 degrees North and South
- 2. 64 to 91F
- 3. Clear water
- 4. Shallow water
Countries with the greatest length of coral reef
- 1. philippines 22,450 km
- 2. indonesia 17,500 km
- 3. fiji 5,360km
- 4. Fed St. Micronesian 3,915 km
- 5. Vanuatu 3,792 km
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview