Chemistry Exam V: Cardiac and Lipoproteins
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the charcteristics of lipids?
- 1. hydrogen-carbon bonds
- 2. hydrophobic and non polar
- 3. insoluble in water
- 4. soluble in nonpolar solvents
- 5. can be modified with polar elements generating amphitericmolecules
What is the most basic lipid unit?
What molecule consists of a COOH group attached to a variable length hydrocarbon chain ; can be attached to other molecules such as glycerol or cholesterol, and is considered one the most basic lipid units?
How do double bonds affect fatty acids? How about single bonds?
- 1.Double bonds cause fatty acids to become unsaturated.
- 2. Single bonds cause fatty acids to become saturated.
What fatty acids are considered essential but not created in our bodies? They need to be ingested and vital for good health
Omega-6 (linoleic acid) and omega-3 (linolenic acid)
They need to be ingested and vital for good health
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview