NDFS 250 Chap 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is Food Science?
- multidisciplinary study of food
- disciplines such as chemistry, microbiology and engineering to study nature of food,
- application of development, preservation, assurance of food
- law, physics, stat... add oil la ya ya
Food Scientist work on what area?
- product development
- preservation and storage
- quality assuance
- food analysis
- sensory evaluation
- food regulations (laws)
Food Quality Parameters
How to determent quality? 2 methods
- subjective (human sensory judgement)
- objective (standardized instrumental tests)
discipline used to evoke, measure, analyze an interpret responses that are perceived by sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing
3 types of Sensory Evaluation?
- discrimination/ difference tests
- descriptive tests
- trained panelists used as an instrument to assess differences in color, odor, taste, texture
- paired comparison
- rating difference
- panelists asked to describe sensory properties and their intensity $$$$
- attribute rating (category scaling and ratio scaling)
- descriptive analysis
- untrained panelists (consumers)used to determine degree of liking/rating, attribute ideality, or ranking.
- rating (Hedonic)
most common sensory evaluations?
affective, then difference
Objective evaluations of Food's appearance?
Objective evaluations of Food's taste
- Gas chromatograph (GC)
- high pressure liquid chromatography (HPLC)
Objective evaluations of Food's odor
Objective evaluations of Food's Texture
- texture analyzer
Objective evaluations of Food's nutrition
Objective evaluations of Food's Safety?
- pH meter
- water activity meter
science dealing with the deformation and flow of matter
resistance to flow
ability to recover size and shape after deformation
ability to retain a shape attained by deformation
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview