Card Set Information
chemistry one definitions
What is an ion?
an atom or molecule that has lost or gained electrons giving it a net electric charge.
number of protons, given by Z
atoms of the same element that have different numbers of neutrons
How are isotopes represented?
1. chemical symbol of number
2. atomic number (Z)
3. mass number (A)
How do you calculate the mass number?
protons + neutrons
which rows represent and increase in protons by one? (increase in atomic number)
the horizontal rows
What are alkali metals? What group are they found?
metals that are highly reactive
found in group 1
What are alkaline earth metals? What group are they found?
they are not as reactive as alkali metals but still quite reactive.
What are halogens? what group are they found?
non-metals, quite reactive
What are noble gases? What group are they found?
non metals, almost completely unreactive
What are the 3 major classes of elements? what form are they?
1. Metals (solids, except mercury)
2. Metalloids (solids)
3. Non Metals (solids, gases and one liquid (bromine))
What is atomic molar mass?
the mass (weight) of one mole of atoms of an element. The average of the naturally occurring isotopes of the element.
What is the octet rule?
when bonds are formed between atoms, 8 electrons fill each energy level by losing gaining or sharing.
: is not a law of nature
1. What charge usually happens to Metal atoms in an ionic bond and why?
2. What charge usually happens to non metal atoms in an ionic bond and why?
1. metal atoms usually become positively charged ions because they lose their valence electrons.
2. non metals usually become negatively charged ions because they gain electrons.
What is an ionic bond?
electrostatic attractions between two oppositely charged ions.
What charge must ionic compounds be?
neutral, the number of electrons lost by metal atoms must equal the number of electrons gained by non metals.
What is a covalent bond?
when 2 non metal atoms share pairs of electrons and both atoms achieve a filled outer energy level.
What is a binary ionic compound?
an ionic compound with two different metals.