FA Med, Camelid I
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
what are the two types of old world camelids?
which camelid has D shaped hump, is from Africa and doesn't handle cold well?
Where is Bactrian from? does it handle cold?
- B hump
- well suited for cold
what is the largest of the new world camelids? what is the smallest?
- biggest: llama
- smallest: vicuna
how do you distinguish between the 2 aplacas, huacaya and suri?
- H: shorter, more crimped fiber
- S: long, crimpless fiber hangs in ringlets
what products do camelids provide?
yarn, fiber, clothing
what is ave. adult wt of llama vs. alpaca?
what is gestation length of llama v. alpaca?
what is lifespan of llama v. alpaca?
what are male and female neonates called?
crias (no gender distinction)
what is camelid behavior? how do they express pain?
- bold, inquisitive
- stoic, don't express in obvious ways
what is "cushing"? what is "humming"? "Orgling"?
- cush: normal posture for laying down or when scared
- humming: vocalization
- orgling: male sound at breeding
Are camelids hierarchical?
yes, fight, kick, spit to establish territory/hierarchy
what is a "bezerk" or "rogue" male?
one imprinted on humans when young -now show territorial/hierarchy behavior to humans
how many incisors and fighting teeth do camelids have?
- 3 lower incisors (x2) - upper dental pad
- 3 fighting teeth: 2 upper/1 lower(x2)
Fighting teeth are mainly seen in males and erupt at what age?
Describe camelid feet.
- 2 digits per foot
- soft pad over corium and digital cushion
- nail is not wt bearing
why are camelids called pseudoruminants?
only 3 compartment "rumen"
Which compartment secretes HCl?
C3 distal 5th secretes HCl and pepsinogen
How many contractions should be heard per minute when auscaulting C1? what about C2?
- 5-8 contractions/minute
- (can't hear sounds from C2 or C3)
what do camelids share in common with pig GIT?
spiral colon - oral fluids to manage impactions
What do camelids do for their fiber/wool since they do not have lanolin?
dust serves as water repellent
what is the thermal window?
short hair on ventral trunk
where can normal calluses be found?
- ventral thorax
- dorsal carpi
- side of metatarsi
- dorsal interdigital spaces
can camelids sweat? is skin thick or thin?
- yes, apocrine sweat glands dense over ventrum; sebaceous glands around perineum
- thick skin, esp over dorsum
how should camelids be restrained?
- in a shute with belly band so cant cush
- can grab base of ear (NO twisting!)
- spit rag
what should you be aware of when placing halter?
- don't obstruct soft nasal passage - obligate nasal breathers
- don't pull halter - they will cush
How should you suggest urine be collected?
- have owner follow to dung pile;
- tape cup to prepuce/vulva
- can catheterize female
what is normal SG of camelid urine?
1.10 - 1.048
is orogastric or nasogastric tube easier to place?
where is blood collected?
- jugular vein - occlude at 6th vertebrae
- lateral margin of ear
- cephalic in crias
- middle coccygeal
- medial saphenous v - difficult
Clinical pathology is similar to cow except what?
- elliptical RBCs
- anemia common
- glucose higher
where are SQ injection sights?
- behind elbow
- behind scapula
where are IM injection sights?
what is TPR?
- T: 99.5-102
- P: 60-90
- R: 10-30
When performing PE, what should remember is normal about mucous membranes?
- gums can be darkly pigmented
- (don't try to check the prepuce)
What should you not expect to see when performing otic exam?
dt curved ear canal, can't visualize tympanum
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview