Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Outline electrical conduction.
- Conduction is due to the movement of the free electrons (transferring charge around a circuit);
- metals are a good electrical conductor with large numbers of free electrons;
- insulators are bad conductors with few/no free electrons;
Define electromotive force (emf)
The work done per unit charge in moving a quantity of charge completely around a circuit / the power delivered per unit current / work done per unit charge made available by the source;
Describe how the resistance of a wire leads to a greater dissipation of power.
- The resistance of a conductor increases with increasing temperature;
- increased power (dissipation) leads to a higher temperature in the resistor / resistor heating up;
Define ideal ammeter and ideal voltmeter
- Ideal ammeter has zero resistance;
- ideal voltmeter has infinite resistance;
- The energy gained by an electron when accelerated through an electric field with a potential difference of 1V;
The definition of the ampere refers to
The force between parallel current-carrying conductors;
State Ohm's Law
- The voltage is (directly) proportional to current / the ratio of potential difference to current is a constant called resistance / the resistance of a conductor is constant provided its temperature is
Describe a potential divider.
- Consists of two resistors in series or a potentiometer;
- whereby the voltage traveling
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview