The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Give an example of a parasite in each phylum:
- Giardia, coccidia, toxoplasma
- roundworms, whipworms, hookworms
- fleas, lice, ticks
How many days does it take for strongyle eggs to become infective?
Adult perascaris roundworms can be 6-12" in lenth
- Live in small intestine
- intermediate host: oribatid mite.
Pinworms (Oxyuris equis)
- Live in lg intestine
- lay eggs on perianal area
Stomach bots (gasterophilus)
- bots are the larval stages of flies
- eggs need heat and moisture to hatch
- remain in mouth for 1 month. Cause ulcers, etc
- pass in feces in spring, burrow underground to pupate, emerge as adult
What is the name of the trichostrongyle known as the "barber pole worm?"
Which of the trichostrongyles are the most pathogenic?
Heamonchus, cause severe anemia.
What is Ostertagia also know as?
"Brown stomach worm"