Chpt. 15 Empowerment
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Mutuality of Interest
- involves win–win situations in which one’s self-interest is
- served by cooperating actively and creatively with potential
- substantial agreement followed by initiative and persistence in pursuit of common goals
- -likely when ppl rely on rational persuasion and not pressure/coalition
reluctant agreement requiring subsequent prodding to satisfy minimum requirements
stalling, unproductive arguing, or outright rejection
- ability to marshal the human, informational, and material resources to get something
plans, self-doubts, mixed outcomes and concerns for others
-expert/referent power had positive effect, reward/legitimate slightly positive, coercive slightly negative effect
- expressions of power for the sake of personal aggrandizement become paramount
- -exhibited when focus less on needs of underlings + act like rules don't apply to them
obtaining compliance with promised/actual rewards
compliance through threats/actual punishment
compliance through formal authority
compliance through knowledge/information
compliance through charisma/personal attraction
- recognizing and releasing into the organization the power that people already have in their
- wealth of useful knowledge, experience, and internal motivation.
Evolution of Power (figure 15-2)
- 1)Authoritarian Power- Domination
- 2)Influence Sharing- Consultation
- 3)Power Sharing- Participation
- 4)Power Distribution- Delegation
- -process whereby employees play a direct role in setting goals, making decisions,
- solving problems, and making changes in the organization
- - helps employees fulfill autonomy, meaningfulness of work, and interpersonal contact
- -process of granting decision-making authority to lower-level employees
- -Amounts to power distribution
Personal Initiative (5)
- 1)consistent w/ org. mission
- 2)L-T focus
- 3)goal/action oriented
- 4)Persistent in face of barriers/setbacks
How can you improve your leverage position?
How can your work make the business more successful?
How can you enhance your reputation, especially with those who can achieve your goals?
How can you increase your network of allies and supporters?
- intentional acts of influence to enhance or protect the self-interests of individuals or
cooperative pursuit of general self-interests
cooperative pursuit of group interests in specific issues
individual pursuit of general self-interests
informal group bound together by active pursuit of SINGLE issue
- the process by which people attempt to control or manipulate the reactions of
- others to images of themselves or their ideas
manipulating info about one's performance
praising and doing favors for one's supervisor
presenting oneself as a polite and nice person
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview