Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
General trends in the 1980's
They relied on which established artists including
- Decline of disco
- pirating music onto cassettes
- Price for recording increased
- explosion of technologies
- Michael Jackson
Who was Michael Jackson?
Who produced his albums
- Recorded three 3 albums
- Off the Wall
Who was Prince?
- Known for exceptional productivity
- Exerts control over all aspects of his image
- bolsters image by films and videos
Who was Madonna?
- Generated strong reaction
- Film helped generate celebrity status
- Controversial for sexual images
Name four #1 hits and by whom?
- "Lady" by Kenny Rogers
- "What's Love Got to Do With It" by Tina Turner
- "Jump" by Van Halen
- 'Born in the U.S.A" by Bruce Springsteen
What was "Lady"
- Country-Pop Corssover
- Written by Lionel Ritchie
- Influenced by pre-rock sensibilities
What was "What's Love Got to Do With It"
- R&B-Pop crossover
- Turner earned a Grammy
- Used unusual phrase lengths
What was "Jump"
- Helped bring Heavy Metal back to popularity
- featured synthesizer
- virtuoso guitar playing
What was "Born in the U.S.A"
- Strophic Form
- Hit single from concept album
- Reflects class consciousness and working-class values
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview