Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What happened in the 1990's
- breakdown of traditional market
- single market shrink
What is Hip-Hop?
- Began in African America and Caribbean Am in NYC in 1970's
- shaped by disco
- used "mixing"
What were two influential early rap songs and by whom?
What did each do?
- Rappers Delight y Sugarhill Gang
- The Message by Grandmaster Flash
- established trend of social realism in rap
- launched entire stream of rap - political rap & "gangsta" rap
What are 4 late 80's rappers?
- Beastie Boys
- Run DMC
- Public Enemy
- M.C. Hammer
- Vanilla Ice
Who were the Beastie Boys?
- expanded audience for rap
- First successful white rap act
- Represented fusion of rap and punk
Who was Run DMC?
- most influential act in rap music
- often completed last few words or each other's phrases
- introduced style of dress (hats, gold chains, etc.)
Who was Public Enemy?
- "It takes a nation of Millions to Hold Us Back' was a breakthrough
- merged rap style with social and political commentary
- Sample music from a variety of sources
Who was M.C. Hammer and Vanilla Ice?
- embraced mainstream pop elements
What was Gangsta Rap?
Name a two bands/artist
- Associated with California
- smoother sound
- social commentary replaced by outlaw swagger
Who was Snoop Dog
- laid back but lethal persona
- released two versions
- made use of local refrences
What was Techno Dance Music?
- Music presented by DJ's who often remain anonymous
- Performed at raves
- Incorporates disco and funk
What was Hardcore
- West Coast style of post-punk
- Associated with slam dancing and moshing
- Sometimes assocated with radical politics
What is Alternative music?
Name 4 bands/artists
- Sometimes refers to "underground" or "independent" music
- challenges status quo
- Dead Kennedys
Who was R.E.M?
- one of the most influential indie bands of the 1980's
- signed a 10 million dolloa, five album record deal with Warner Bros.
Who were Nirvanna?
- Lead by Kurt Cobain
- Combines heavy metal texture with pop songwriting techniques
- Best known Proponents of "Grunge" or "Seatle Song"
Who were Phish?
- Inspired by the spirit of Grateful Dead
- Embrave electric influences
- Successul as touring band, but not in record sales
Name 3 women in Alt. Rock
- Ani DiFranco
- Lauryn Hill
- k.d. lang
Who was Ani DiFranco?
Name a song
- Merged folk music with puck aesthetics
- Featured minimal musical accompaniment, and revealing lyrics
- "Not a Pretty Girl" is a critique of cultural expectation
Who was Lauryn Hill?
- Hip-Hop artist who rejects violence
- Influenced by 1950's R&B
- Combines moral seriousness with musical playfulness
Who was k.d lang?
- Influenced by Patsy Cline and Honky-Tonk
- Outspoken politics and sexual
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview