The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
characteristics of substances dispersed in water affect the nature of the mixture
- molecular size
- electrostatic potential
stability, or maintenance of a homogenous mixed aqueous dispersion depends on what?
- miscibility: the ability of the substance to disperse in water
- solubility: the degree to which a miscible substance remains homogeneously dispersed over time
three states of liquid dispersions
- true solutions - very stable
- colloidal dispersions - moderate to good stability
- suspensions - poor stability
- ion or tiny molecules (<1nm)
- invisible under any microscope
- pass through most membranes
- very stable
- usually cannot form gels
- macromolecules or small groups of molecules 1-100nm
- visible under electron microcsope
- pass through filters but not through membranes
- moderately stable
- translucent (semi-transparent)
- form gels
- large groups of molecules
- visible under light microscope
- don't pass through filters
- unstable; settle out
- opaque (cloudy, not transparent or translucent)
- cannot form gels
what would be true solution?
what would be colloidal dispersion?
- fats (if homogenized)
- cooked starch
what would be suspension?
internal phasse? external phase?