NDFS 250 Carbs
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- the carbony-bearing carbon, which becomes asymmetric when the open-chain structure closes to form the ring structure
- determine if it's a or b
- very reactive (glycosidic linkage between simple sugars)
D vs L sugar
- based on the configuration around the highest unmbered chrial carbon.
- D= right
- L= left
alpha vs beta
- a = ant = down
- b = bird = up
- con: forming bond, release water
- hydro: breaking bond, with addition of water
- equimolar mixture of D-glucose and D-fructose formed by hydrolysis of sucrose
- degreesrotation of plane-polarized light is 'inverted' from psitive to negative
- the anomeric carbon reduce Fehlings/Benedicts Reagent
- most simple sugars are reducing sugars, except sucrose
what's the significance of reducing sugars?
- from sweetest
- glucose polymer with a-1,4 bond
glucose polymer with a-1,4 and 1-a,6
- complex polysaccharides that typically impart hight viscosity at low concentrations
- eg. Agar
- Locust bean gum
- Guar gum
- Gum arabic
- Xanthan gum
- microcrystaline cellulose
what's vegetable gums used for?
- inhibit crystallization
- whipping aid
- foam and emulsion stabilizer
- adhesive 黏的 and binding agent
- coating agent
- prevent gel breakdown
- suspend solids
- flavor carrier
- fat replacer!
- cellulose (polymer of glucose linked beta 1-4)
- hemicellulose (complex polymers of zylose, glucose and various ...)
- pectin (galacturonic acid and methyl ester... a 1-4)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview