The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Define what is meant by Ferrous Metals.
A group of metals that contain iron and various amounts of carbon, these metals rust.
Define what it is meant by Non-ferrous metals.
A group of metals that do not contain iron, and as a result do not rust.
Name 4 Ferrous metals, and 4 Non ferrous metals.
Ferrous metals include; Mild steel, Cast Iron, High Carbon Steel, Carbon Steel, Stainless Steel.
Non-ferrous metals include; Aluminium, Copper, Gold, Silver, Zinc.
Name the properties, and uses of Aluminium. (Coffee Pot).
- Strong for it's weight, it can withstand force and is not easily bent.
- Good conductor of head/electricity.
- Easily Joined.
- Ductile, Malleable and Tough.
- Light weight, can be easily moved around.
- Coffee Pot;
- Aluminum is good conductor of heat, which makes it suitable for heating the coffee on a stove.
- Aluminium does not corrode, which would change the taste of the coffee.
- Aluminium has a low melting point, which make it idea for die casting because the dies will last longer than if a metal with a high melting point was used.
Uses include; Kitchenware (saucepans), overhead power cables.
Name the properties and uses of Stainless Steel.
- It is a strong material.
- It is light weight.
- Hard and not easily scratched.
- Is a tough metal, so will withstands impact from being dropped.
- Stainless steel does not rust, which not only is aesthetically pleasing, as users do not want to drink from rusty cup, it does not taint the taste of the drink.