Home Economics - Technology in the Home
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe four technological advances that have impacted on the running of the home today.
1. Washing and drying clothes has been made easier with washing machines and tumble dryers
2. Dishwashers and hoovers allow us to clean dishes and floors alot quicker
3. Food preparation and storage has been made easier with freezers, fridges, microwaves and cookers
4. The internet can be used for shopping and online banking
List seven guidelines for buying household appliances
3. Energy efficiency
5. Sepcial features
6. Check the guarantee
7. After sales service
How does a microwave oven cook food?
1. Cooks food very quickly
2. It is a healthy cooking method
3. It can reheat food quickly
List three disadvantages of microwave cooking
1. It does not brown food
2. It is not suitable for all foods eg. large joints of meat
3. It does not make meat tender
List four points for using a microwave safely
1. Do not put anything metal into the microwave
2. Cover foods with a plate so it does not splatter
3. Leave to stand for a few minutes before eating
4. Prick anything with a skin eg. potatoes before cooking to prevent bursting
List three guidelines that should be followed when buying a microwave oven
1. Does the oven have a turntable?
2. What is its wattage?
3. Any special features
List seven features of modern cookers
1. Fan ovens
2. Top oven
3. Ceramic hob
4. Dual rings
5. Dual grill
6. Self cleaning oven
List five features of a modern refrigerator
1. Thermostatically controlled
2. Salad drawers
3. Automatic defrost
4. Cold drinks dispenser and ice maker
5. Door of fridge can be made to match kitchen units
What does the EU Directive on Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment 2005 mean for consumers?
Electrical appliances can no longer be disposed of in landfill sites
Instead they must be brought to special collection points where they are recycled in an environmentally friendly way
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview