Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Sample from: Skin lesion
- SBA: Smooth, small, convex, circular, transparent
- Rough, large, matte, alpha hemolytic (greenish zones of incomplete hemolysis)
- Gram Stain: small GPB may have filament
- Catalase, Motility, Esculin
- H2S in TSI
- This is the ONLY aerobic, catalase neg, non spore forming GPB that does this.
What species is this related to?
Colonizes variety of animals: fish & birds, but most particularly PIGS. Those at greatest risk are those that handle these animals.
Causes: Erysipeloid in a cutaneous infection
- Small GPB
- Occur singly, in short chains, or filaments
- Wide temp range on complex nutrient media like SBA
- Aerobic or Facultative anaerobic with 5 -10%O2
- Smooth small, convex(dome type), circular, & transparent.
- Rough Large, matte, alpha hemolytic.
Penicillin is drug of choice
Aminoglycosides, sulfa and vancomycin are NOT effective.