The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The Great War
- 8-10 million deaths
- before Europe at its peak
- Formed 1879
- Russia, Britain, France
- Germany, Austria-Hungary, Italy
Strategy, Politics, and Ideology
- Strategy - Geopolitical
- Politics - Interests
- Ideology - France and Russia allies because of Germany's rise in power.
Immediate Origins of the First World War
- 1914 - Political crisis between Austria-Hungary vs Serbia
- Archduke Franz-Ferdinand (heir) murdered in Sarajevo by Serbian nationalists who want to make own state
- Ask Germany help, they give "blank check"
- Russia supports Serbia (ideology pan-slavism or "enemies of my enemies")
- Germany creates Schliefen Plan (but Britain enters)
- 1914 - Germany attacks France
Possible Reason for Outbreak of First World War
- Alliance system drew in more power
- Alliance brought no balance of power (equal power=peace)
- Arms Race = Opportunity/Advantage
- Mobilization = Advantage - Schliefan Plan at stake
- Expectation of short war
- Kaiser wants Germany to have more power (weltpolitick = world power)
- Continuation of imperialism - Germany wants that - Defeats British Armada
- German domestic issues - monarchy wants war, parliament pacifists
- Military Culture = war is glorifying.