Enlightenment thinkers 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- the state keeps man from selfish impulses
- 'The Prince'
- State provides security & order
- (even tho its unpleasant)
Individuals must give up freedom for order
- social contract between individual & state
- mutual benefit (yin-yang)
- 'Concerning of Human Understanding'
- importance of customs in society
- look to past to understand present
- (early "sociologist")
King Louis XIV
- bureaucratic practices (office of leadership)
- standing army (always ready)
- state-organized trade (import raw-->export product)
- in favor of majority (utilitarianism)
- neglected minority
- no evidence miracles (coincidence)
- no philosophical basis for God
The understanding of God is beyond our mind capacity
power corrupts (anti-clergy)
- man should serve as archive for knowledge
civilization keeps us from our true nature
Michael de Montaigne
- No single truth
- (won't enforce own view to others)
- "God is Dead"
- religion is an illusion masking a truth
- we don't need God anymore
- "Knowledge is Power"
- knowledge from experience
- from Scholastics (Induction)
- "I think therefore I am"
- Doubt is the first step to everything
- from Skeptics (Deduction)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview