Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a bone?
An osseous tissue covered by periosteum
- Supporting connective tissue composed of calcium salt;
- A hard tissue that is relatively resistant to tensile and compressive forces.
- Covering of the bone;
- isolates it from the surrounding tissue;
- provides for circulatory and nervous supply
Types of bones
- Compact (cortical, dense)
- Cancellous (trabecular, spongy)
Functions of the bone
- provide structural support for entire body
- protects organs and tissues of the bodyserve as levers that can change the magnitude and direction of force generated by skeletal muscles
- provide storage for calcium salts to maintain concentrations of calcium and phosphate ions in body fluids
- produced blood cells
- Long bones
- Short bones
- Flat Bones
- Irregular Bones
Where are long bones found?
In the appendicular skeletal system
Parts of a long bone
- epiphyseal plate
central cycindrical shaft of the long bone;
What does the diaphysis consist of?
- Compact bone surrounding a thin layer of cancellous bone;
- Within the canellous bone like the medullary cavity, which is filled with yellow bone marrow.
What is yellow bone marrow?
The filling of the medullary cavity in the diaphysis of the long bone
end of the long bone that articulates with adjoining bones
What does the epiphysis consist of?
- cancellous bone surrounded by a layer of compact bone;
- Red bone marrow;
- articular cartilage
Red Bone Marrow
contained in the porous chambers of the spongy bone
Hematopoiesis purpose and location
- Produces red and white blood cells and platelets;
- occurs in red bone marrow.
covering of the epiphyses that helps faciliate joint movement
Epiphyseal plate and location
- Where growth of the long bone occurs;
- the junction between the epiphysis and the diaphysis
- cuboidal in shape;
- covered with articular surfaces that interface with joints
thin and relatively broad bones
Flat bone examples
- bones of skull
Have mixed shapes that don't fit easily into other categories
Irregular bone examples
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview