Biology Unit one
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The ability to distinguish between 2 objects that are close together
The number of times greater an image than its object.
Why do scientist stain samples?
Name 1 type.
- In order to see the details of the cells organelles.
- - Acetic Orcein
Roughly how large is the following:
-Cell surface membrane
- -Cell surface membrane: 10nm wide
- -Ribosome: 20nm in diameter
- -Virus: 40-100nm in diameter
outline function of nucleus.
To co-ordinate cell; houses genetic information.
Outline function of nucleolus.
Makes Ribosome and RNA
Outline structure and function of nuclear envelope.
- -Double membrane structure
- -Surrounds nucleus in eukaryote cell
Outline structure and function of:
-Rough endoplasmic reticulum (R.E.R)
-Smooth endoplasmic reticulum (S.E.R)
- -E.R: consist of membrane bound sac called cisternae. They are continuous with outer nuclear membrane.
- -R.E.R: studded with ribosomes, transports proteins.
- -S.E.R: makes lipids the cell needs
outline structure and function of Golgi Apparatus.
- -A stack of membrane bound flattened sac
- -Used to package and modify proteins into vesicles.
Outline function of Ribosome.
Used to synthesis proteins in the cell.
Outline structure and function of mitochondria.
- - Spherical/sausage shape. Inner membrane folded to form cristae. Central part called matrix.
- -A site where Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is produced via Aerobic respiration.
Outline structure and function of chloroplast.
- -Inner membrane is continuous and has elaborate network of flattened membrane sack called thylakoids. (they look like plates, many stacked called granum.)
- -Site of photosynthesis
Outline function of lysosomes.
-Contain powerful enzymes used to break down materials
Outline role of plasma membrane.
-form permeable barrier between cell and environment
define division of labour.
system where different part perform specialised function contributing to the function of the whole.
Outline function of cytoskeleton.
network of fibres made of proteins that are used to keep cell structure stable
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview