Commercial suppliers can be held liable for negligently supplying a defective product.
* Failure to exercise reasonable care in inspecting or sale if defect would have been discoverable upon reasonable inspection). Retailers and wholesalers can usually satisfy duty with cursory inspection.
* Failure to take advantage of known and available safety device – balance cost/benefit.
* Intermediary’s failure to discover defect isn’t a superceding event.
* Physical injury or property damage must be shown.
- * Defenses: Contributory negligence, assumption of risk. No privity required –
- even thief can sue.