PDHPE - What influences the health of individuals?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
what determinants of health does ISSuE stand for?
- I - individual
- S - sociocultural
- S - socioeconomic
- E - environmental
acronym for ISSUE?
- Geographic location
- Access to health services
how does FAMILY influence an individual?
family breakdown can have a negative social and health consequences for both children and parents.
children in single parent homes = poorer health because may experience lower incomes and unemployment
how does PEERS influence an individual?
A persons peers can either have a positive
affect on their decision making
- e.g. P = doing physical activity
- N = high-risk behaviour
how does MEDIA influence an individual?
entire shows dedicated to good health and positive lifestyle behaviours
how does RELIGION influence an individual?
has health-enhancing benefits
- -social support
- -sense of meaning and purpose
- -belief system
- -clear moral code
- not beneficial
- -rejecting same sex
- -failure to conform (no sex before marriage)
- -lead to stress and guilt = poor health
how does CULTURE influence an individual?
can have both positive
impacts on health
- -ethnicity can be related to low socioeconomic status
- -social exclusion and isolation
- -prior hardships (refugees experience mental issues)
- -language difficulties = low access to health services
how does ABORIGINALITY influence individuals?
health status among indigenous people is lower
than non-indigenous australians
- -higher mortality and morbidity rates
- -higher unemployment
- -geographic location
- -inadequate housing
- -lower education
how does KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ATTITUDES influence individuals?
about health enables a person to:
- -make informed health decisions
- -make choices about behaviours
- -access health services when required
- everything combined:
- -influence health behaviours
- -influence present and future health status
how does GENETICS influence an individual?
certain diseases are known to be inherited:
- ☺type-1 diabetes
- ☺heart disease
- ☺some cancers
how does EMPLOYMENT influence an individual?
people = higher mortality, illness and disability
- lack of work:
- -reduces ability to buy health products
- -strong psychological and social impacts
- ☐poor self esteem
- -low skilled jobs = high mortality and morbidity
how does EDUCATION influence and individual?
higher education = better employment prospects
- provides knowledge and skills to:
- -achieve a healthy life style
- -gain better access to health services
how does INCOME influence an individual?
- high education = better employment
- better employment = higher income
- high income = better housing, health care, preventive health measures (gym, healthy food)
how does GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION influence an individual?
- rural areas:
- low incomes
- low access to health services
- social pressures
- high suicide rate
- high alcohol consumption and smoking
- hazards (farming and mining machines and long distance drives)
how does ACCESS TO HEALTH SERVICES influence an individual?
- -use traditional health treatments
- -not as informed of risky behaviours (smoking is the norm)
how does ACCESS TO TECHNOLOGY influence individuals?
- -travel to access health and social supper services (costs $)
- -public trasport = expensive or non-existent
- -great risk of poor physical and social well-being (from limit to health services)
- reliable access to internet is required
- will provide:
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview