History 8th Final 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the significance of the name “Exodusters”?
It was taken by former slaves to describe their movement in large numbers from the South to the West.
Why did Congressional Republicans pass the Fifteenth Amendment?
They wanted African Americans to vote to support their Reconstruction plan.
The “golden spike” was significant because it
connected the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroad lines.
The Grange was an organization created on behalf of
We have been proud of our industrial achievement, but we have not. . .
stopped. . . to count the human cost, … the men and women and children
upon whom the…burden of it all has fallen.
Who said these words?
What was the main goal of the Wisconsin Plan?
the main goal was to decrease the power of political machines and make state government more professional
How did state legislatures in the South begin to change as a result of Reconstruction?
Many African Americans were elected as representatives to the state legislatures.
- A. verbally insulted a South Carolina Senator
- B. was physically beaten with a cane while in the Senate chamber
tried to sue for his freedom but lost in the Supreme Court
Which is true about John Price of Oberlin in 1858
- A. Both the people who freed him and the people who captured him had broken the law
- B. He had been freed by people from Oberlin
- C. He had been captured by slave catchers
Which are true about the Republican party?
- B. That it was formed in the North immediately after passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act
- C. That the party was dedicated to keeping slavery out of the western territories
- D. That the party was afraid that slavery would hurt the small farmers in the western territories
The battle of Fredericksburg
- A. included Burnside wasting many men against Lee's fortified position.
- B. was a great victory for the South and a disaster for the North.
First Manassas or First Bull Run
- A. was the first large scale battle of the Civil War
- B. showed that both sides were unprepared
- C. included spectators picnicking and watching the battle
The Battle of Petersburg
- A. was a long siege battle between Grant and Lee.
- B. included the disastrous “Battle of the Crater”
John J. Crittenden’s plan to save the Union
included protecting slavery
Capitol of confederacy
Virginia - along river
Which of the following are true concerning the Battle of Gettysburg?
- A. Lee attempted to attack the center of the Union line.
- B. The battle occurred in Pennsylvania
Many Southerners did not support Douglas’s plans for a railroad to the Pacific because
They wanted the railroad to take a Southern route to New Orleans
Who said: “’A house divided against itself
cannot stand.’ I believe this government cannot endure permanently half
slave and half free.”
Wrote about “blank looking girls … all blankly folding paper” describing a paper mill. Also wrote Moby Dick.
How did the Panic of 1837 promote westward expansion?
When people lost jobs and opportunities in the East disappears many moved West.
Wrote: “I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars”
A factory that invited young girls and women to work and stay in dormitories was developed by
Francis Cabot Lowell
Newspaper editor who promoted the wearing of baggy pants for women, so they could move about better and be more comfortable.
Admittedto medical school because the students who voted thought is was a joke,
became the first woman to graduate from an American medical school.
Who was she?
German immigration to the U.S. in the late 1840’s and 1850’s
- A. grew because of a failed revolution in 1848
- B. It included Catholics, Jews and Protestants
- D. included many immigrants with money or professional skills
John Jacob Astor
American Fur Company
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview