Healthy Minds #2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Defensive coping examples (5)
- Getting drunk
- using fantasy
- social withdrawl
- drug use
Active coping techniques (5)
- challenging irrational fears
- using social support network
- progressive relaxation
- seeking accurate info
Problem focused coping examples (5)
- being assertive in interactions
- reducing number of competing demands on time and energy
- using active coping techniques
- using retraint
Emotion focused coping examples (5)
- Positive outlook
- controlling feelings
- seeking social support
- escape/wishful thinking
A cluster of problems that often occur togeter
Depression is categorised by what characteritics?
Steps of CBT
- Educate the individual about causes of their anxiety
- Identify anxiety-inducing thoughts, recognise negative thoughts, challenge and reduce these thoughts and replace them with more constructive thinking
- Gradual exposure to situations which previously induced anxiety
- Individual taught how to control physical aspects of Anxiety eg breating techniques
Principles of BT
Uses psychological learning principles (OC and CC) to help individuals develop more adaptive behaviour patterns and discontinue maladaptive ones
Principles of CBT
Aims to give individuals insight into irrational beliefs and cognitive distortions that cause distress. Show them how to replace these with rational beliefs and accurate perceptions
Irrational fears are?
Define Risk factors
combination of life events and circumstances results in an increased likelihood of a person experiencing mental illness
Define protective factors
combination of life events and circumstances result in a decreased likelihood of a person experiencing a mental illness
Define coping strategies
Personal strategies that relieve stress and lead to good outcomes
Examples of coping strategies (8)
- social involvement
- Stress management therapies
what is resilience?
Process of adapting well in face of adversity, trauma, tragedy, threats or significant sources of stress.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview