The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
ASK THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS OF YOUR DEFENSE:
- · Will your defense put your team in the in a position to defeat the best teams on your schedule?·
- Can your defense win on the road?·
Does your defense improve as the season progresses?·
Will your defense allow you to advance in post season play?
Know your NO's:
- No Paint
- No Layups
- No Baseline
- No Direct Drives
- No Rhythm Jumpers
- No 2nd ShotsNo Fouls!
5 BIG RULES
- 1. If you are not guarding the ball you are in the pack. Why? You are closer to the help. (5 men vs. the ball) “BUILD A WALL”
- 2. See ball and man. Why? You will get back cut or lose your man if you don’t see both. You must stay lower than your man.
- 3. Be closer to the ball than your man is. Why? You will be in the correct pack position
- 4. In a stance all the time! Why? You are faster & stronger when you are in a stance. You have to be ready to have your teammates back.
- 5. ELC TALK! Why?
- 1. It is necessary 2. It is intimidating 3. It gives you a head start 4. Man on the ball has more confidence 5. Wakes up disengaged defenders 6. Catches a mistake before it happens 7. Energizes your team
ELC TALK! Why?
- 1.It is necessary
- 2. It is intimidating
- 3. It gives you a head start
- 4. Man onthe ball has more confidence
- 5. Wakes up disengaged defenders
- 6. Catches amistake before it happens
- 7. Energizes your team
WHY THE PACK DEFENSE?
Byemploying our theory of defense, we will lowerour opponent’s FG%, improve our rebounding,and reduce our opponent’s opportunitiesfor lay-ups and easy baskets off either dribble penetration or transition
SUN TZU ON TRANSITION DEFENSE
Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy will be fresh; whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle will arrive exhausted."
Lazy Hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.
1. NBA PLAYERS SHOT % when their shots were contested?
NBA% UNCONTESTED SHOTS
Paint Consequences “We have been violated”
- 1. Charge
- 2. Steal
- 3. Deflection
- 4. Block Shot
- 5. KCAC FOUL
WE HAVE TO WORK TO PREVENT THIS FROM BEATING US
- 1. Shot fakes
- 2. Reaching
- 3. Hands Down
- 4. Silence
- 5. Over helping in the lane. (Posts can’t help up)
- 6. Lateness on trap or dig downs
- 7.Soft Play/ Lack of physicality
IN ORDER TO COMPETE AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL WE MUST HAVE:
- 1. Maximum effort from all 5 players
- 2. Commitment
- 3. Communication
- 4. Trust
- 5. Positioning ( PACK )
- 6. ALERTNESS/Awareness
- 7. MULTIPLE EFFORTS
- 8. RESOLVE & MENTAL TOUGHNESS
REASONS WHY YOU ARE NOT A GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAM?
- 1. You have offensive minded guys. Guys who want to establish their identity on the offensive end. “I am a scorer”.
- 2. You lack size and don’t have basket protection.
- 3. You may lack athleticism.
- 4. Lack basketball IQ
- 5. No consequences if you don’t do it. (Coaches have to keep you accountable)
DEFENSIVE NON NEGOTIABLES (NOT DOING THIS WILL GET YOU SUBBED OUT)
- 1. SPRINT BACK. NO BUDDY RUNNING!2. CLOSEOUT HARD with high hands
- 3. CONTEST EVERY SHOT
Teaching Points in Taking Charge
- 1) Tuck Chin
- 2) Hands up
- 3) Shoulder Width Feet
- 4) Take Hit in Chest
- 5) Yell -Ref's Attention
- 6) Land on Bottom
FREE THROW SHOOTING
% OF SCORING FROM FT LINE
% OF SCORING FROM ft LINE IN LAST 2 MINTUES
TIPS TO IMPROVE SHOT SELECTION
- 1. KNOW YOUR RANGE
- 2. HAVE A GOOD LOOK AT THE BASKET
- 3. BE IN CONTROL
- 4. SEE IF TEAMMATE HAS A BETTER SHOT
- 5. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE REBOUNDERS
- 6. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DEFENDERS IN FOUL TROUBLE
- 7. KNOW THE GAME SITUATION
- 8. DON'T FORCE
- 9. KNOW WHERE THE 3 POINT LINE IS
- 10. BE CONFIDENT AND STRONG
HOW TO BREAK SWITCHES?
- 1. PASS AND CUT 0
- 2. ATTACK MISMATCHES ON WITH SCREENING
- 3. TIGHT CURLS, SLIPS BACKCUTS, BREAKOFFS
When we’re working on motion…be asking:
- o How’s our spacing?o
- How’s our screening?o
- How’s our cutting?o
- Are we dribbling too much?o
- Are we pushing it enough?o
- Are we seeing the post?
- 1. BE ON TIME
- 2. NO EXCUSES/COMPLAINING
- 3. NO EVERGY VAMPIRES
HOW WE WANT TO PLAY
- 1. DEFENSE
- 2. REBOUND
- 3. RUN
- 4. UNSELFISHNESS
- 5. KNOW YOUR ROLE
GOALS FOR NEXT SEASON
- 1. BE THE BEST IN DEFENSIVE FG% & 3PTFG% IN CONFERENCE PLAY
- 2. FINISH IN THE TOP 3 OF THE CONFERENCE
- 3. MAKE IT TO NATIONAL TOURNAMENT IN BRANSON
- 4. 3.0 TEAM GPA
- 5. 6 COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS
TWO THINGS I WOULD LIKE EVERY PLAYER IN OUR PROGRAM TO BE WHEN THEY GRADUATE
- 1. SELFLESS
- 2. SPIRITUAL LEADERS OF THEIR FAMILIES
4 CORE VALUES
- 1. Humility -Knowing who you are – not thinking too highly of yourself but not thinking too little of yourself either.
- 2. Passion- Are you hungry to compete and excel and be enthusiastic about the opportunity to do so? Will you be passionate when you don’t feel like it?
- 3. Unity- The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Basketball is a sport in which a team can come together and achieve greatness even without having the greatest individual talents. Servanthood- Knowing your role and sacrificing as needed to make your teammates and your team better. It’s a key element to unity and greatness