Describe the deviation from ideal mental health
definition of abnormality.
- It defines mental health by identifying six criteria which have to be met (Jahoda). Deviation from these criteria would be defined as abnormal.
- Positive self-image: high self-esteem
- Self-actualisation: reaching goals, developing to the most of your ability
- Resistance to stress
- Personal autonomy: ability to make own decisions
- Accurate perception of reality: leaving in the “real world”
- Adapting to the environment:competent in all areas of life and being flexible.