Geo 143: International Migration
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What have been some of most important recent trends in international migration across the globe?
- 1. Acceleration
- 2. Globalization
- 3. Institutionalization of international migration
- 4. Feminization of international migration
What is meant by the “institutionalization” of international migration?
-heightened role of public and private sector institutions governing migration flows
What is meant by the “feminization” of international labor migration?
- -women play an increasing role in all regions and all types of international migration
- -almost 50% of international migrants
- -majority engaged in care work and service sector
What have been the major geographic areas of destination for international labor migrants across the globe?
- 1. North America
- 2. Europe
- 3. Oil rich countries of Middle East
- 4. Rich countries of Asia
- 5. Australia
What are some of the major sending and receiving countries of female domestic workers in the global labor market?
- 1. Sending countries
- 2. Receiving countries
- -Hong Kong
What drives this migration movement?
What are the working conditions and relations between employers and employees? (See also article on Domestic Workers in Singapore)
-employers treat workers as commodified labor
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview