Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the study of food, including how food nourishes our bodies and how food influences our health
The absence of disease physically, emotionally, occupationally, and spiritually.
What are the critical components of wellness (2)?
Nutrition and physical activity
What are the food aspects of nutrition (6)?
Consumption, Digestion, Absorption, Metabolism, Storage, Excretion
What aspects of nutrition do we study?
Psychological, food safety, global food supply, and cultural
Chemicals in foods that are critical to human growth and function
What are the six essential nutrients found in food?
carbohydrates, fats and oils, proteins, vitamins, minerals, water
nutrients required in relatively large amounts and provide us with energy; carbohydrates, fats and oils, proteins.
nutrients required in smaller amounts; vitamins and minerals
Amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1g of water by 1℃
How do we measure energy?
- 1) Primary source of fuel for the body
- 2) provide 4 kcal/g
- 3) found in grains (wheat, rice), vegetables,
- 4) fruits, and legumes
Fats and Oils
- 1) composed of lipids
- 2) provide 9 kcal/g
- 3) source of fat-soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids
- 1) chains of amino acids
- 2) 4 kcal/g, not primary energy source
- 3) source of nitrogen
Proteins are important for...
- Building cells and tissues
- Maintaining bones
- Repairing damage
- Regulating metabolism
- Fluid balance
Vitamins; Two types?
- organic molecules that assist in regulating body processes
- - Fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K)
- - Water-soluble vitamins (C and B)
inorganic substances required for body processes
Major minerals; How much is necessary?
100mg/day of Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium, chloride.
<100mg/day of iron, zinc, copper, iodine, and fluoride
DRIs consist of four values
- 1) Estimated Average Requirement (EAR)
- 2) Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)
- 3) Adequate Intake (AI)
- 4) Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL)