Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
insufficient oxygen supply to the heart
the heart stops (no breathing/unconscious/no pulse)
Path of Blood
Inferior Vena Cava/Superior Vena Cava --> Atrium: Right --> Right Ventricle (bottom) --> Pulmonary Artery --> Lungs --> Pulmonary Vein --> Left Atrium --> Left Ventricle --> Aorta
Arteries carry _________blood
*EXCEPT THE PULMONARY ARTERY/ VEIN*
Veins carry _________blood *EXCEPT THE PULMONARY ARTERY/ VEIN*
the test to see the heart beat
Symptoms of a Heart Attack: PAIN
- -starts in the center, spreads to the shoulder, left arm, neck, jaw, back, women: abdomen,
- -pain becomes constant- not relieved by resting/changing position/taking medication
- *persistent chest pain, lasts longer than 3-5 minutes
Symptoms of a Heart Attack: BREATHING
-trouble breathing: noisy/shortness of breath
Symptoms of a Heart Attack: SKIN
- -pale or ashen-looking skin (especially around the face)
- -sweating & nausea
Symptoms of a Heart Attack: PULSE
-irregular: fast OR slow
Giving aspirin (ASA)
- -Ask if the person is...
- stomach ulcer/disease
- taking blood thinners (coumadin)
- told not to take aspirin by doc.
- have you taken any aspirin today?
Care for a Heart Attack
- 1. Ask Permission
- 2. Recognize the symptoms
- 3. Call 911
- 4. Have them stop activity and rest
- 5. Obtain Info: Do you have heart disease? How do you feel/symptoms? What were you doing before the pain? Meds?
- 6. Comfort them
- 7. Be prepared to give CPR/AED
Risk Factors of Cardio-VAscular Disease
- High Blood Pressure/ Hypertension
- Lack of exercise
- Diet (high fat/cholesterol)
- Cigarette Smoking
4 grams = _____ calories
1 lb. fat = ______ calories
How much grain, veg., fruit, milk, and meat daily?
- Grain: 6 oz (3 Whole Grain)
- Veg: 2 1/2 cups
- Fruit: 2 cups
- Milk: 3 cups
- Meat: 5 1/2 oz
comes from cholestrol
HDL and LDL
- HDL- good or "happy"
- LDL- bad or "lousy"
- Saturated with Hydrogen atoms
- Solid at room temp.
- Comes from Animal sources or Tropical oil (Palm oils/Coconut oils)
- Saturated Fat Contributes to the Body's production of LDL
- helps elevate HDL
- A liquid at room temp
- Canola and Olive Oil
- liquid at room temp
- lowers both HDL and LDL
- Includes Safflower, Corn, Sunflower Oils <-- comes from veg. sources
Recommendations for your diet
- Less than 30% of calories from fat
- Less than 10% of calories from saturated fat
- Less than 300mg of dietary cholesterol a day
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview