Shaddock & Associates v Parramatta City Council
- tort, negligence, duty of care, liability for misstatements causing purely economic harm
- Facts: Shaddock phoned council to ask if any road widening proposals, sent certificate from council saying no. Actually wrong. Shaddock suffered financial loss.
- Issue: Did council owe Shaddock duty of care when providing information?
- Decision: No duty of care from phone advice - informal. But: duty of care from advice given in written certificate.
- Reason: No duty to take reasonable care that advice/info correct unless:
- - knows or ought to know, other relies on him to take such reasonable care
- - other may act in reliance on advice/info given