The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is Representation?
The term, ‘representation’ refers to the formal designation of certain organizational institutions & processes as the means whereby employees can, on collective basis, enter into dialogue with management, express their views & seek to influence management decision making.
What is the TU Origin & Development?
Six explanations (1 - Psychological)
- -TU are the product of worker’s psychological alienation
- -Tu intend to infuse a sense of solidarity & community in the minds of workers
- -TU are workers rebellion against extreme individualism (promoted by modern industrial society
Six explanations (2 - Rightist)
- -TU are tools of state & management
- -TU meant to serve larger cause of improving production & productivity
- -TU are responsible for creating a disciplined & responsible workforce
Six explanations (3 - Institutional
- TU grew due to state patronage
- - Socialist & Labor government (left wing) helped in the expansion
- - Establishment’s of institutions (such as 3rd party) provided a sense of a ‘sense of being listened to’
- Six explanations (4 - Reformist)
- -TU seeks to reform management authoritative & unregulated practices
- -Have some degree of workers control in IR
- - Agenda to reform capitalism through balanced & regulated IR
- Six explanations (5 - Economic)
- - Economic-self interest is the major motivating factor
- -Workers intends to protect their job rights & improve terms & conditions
- Six explanations (6 - Marxist)
- -TU are results of modern industrial capitalism
- -TU are organized to confer more political & economic power
- -Workers intends to improve terms & conditions are immediate objectives
- -TU ultimate objectives is the destruction of capitalism
TU(s) are accepted by management as the representative of all, or a group, of employees for the purpose of jointly determining their terms & conditions
- Voluntary | for the purpose of CB Compulsory |
TU can take place in...?
- CB can take place in
- - "shop-floor“ / enterprise level - micro (decentralize),
- -Regional / industry level- meso (centralize), and
- - National level – macro (centralize).