2. Merton's Strain Theory
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Merton's 2 Factors of Strain...
- 1. Structural factors - unequal opportunity structure
- 2. Cultural Factors - The goals that culture encourages us to achieve
Example of Strain Theory
- The American Dream
- Ideology that society is meritocratic so work hard for economic gain. However, this can shift it illegitimate means.
5 Deviant Adaptations to Strain
(and their definitions)
- Conformity - acheiving goals through legitimate means
- Innovation - 'New' illegitimate means
- Ritualism - given up on success but continue in dead end jobs
- Retreatism - drop outs
- Rebellion - Political radicals / counter cultures
Evaluation of Merton
Three main citicisms
- 1. Deterministic
- 2. Only accounts for utilitarian crime
- 3. Explains how deviance results from individuals adaptations - not delinquent subcultures
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview