3. Subcultural Strain Theories
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Basic premise of Subcultural Strain Theories
- Criticise Merton's theory and seek to build on it.
- Deviance is a result of a delinquent subculture
Two main sections to Subcultural Strain Theories and their writers...
- 1. Status Frustration - Albert Cohen
- 2. The Three Subcultures - Cloward and Ohlin
Albert Cohen - Status Frustration
Criticisms of Merton
- 1.Deviance is committed in groups
- 2. Not always utilitarian
What Cohen believes are delinquent subcultures' 'solution' to Status Frustration
Alternative Status Hierarchy
Cloward and Ohlin - Three Subcultures
- 1. Criminal Subcultures
- 2. Conflict Subcultures
- 3. Retreatist Subcultures
Alternative Study on Subcultures?
It's Three theories?
- The Chicago School
- 1.Cultural Transmission Theory
- 2. Differential Association Theory
- 3. Social Disorganisation Theory
Evaluation - Three main points
- 1. Ignores white collar crime
- 2. Millar agues that lower class has own independant subculture- 'focal concerns'
- 3. Matza- drifting
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview