8. Left Realism
Card Set Information
8. Left Realism
Crime and Deviance
In responce to two factors
1.Produce Practical Solutions to rising crime
2.Influence of right realism on government policy
Main areas of Left Realism
1. Taking crime seriously
2. The causes of crime
3. Late Modernity, exclusion and crime
4. Tackling crime
1. Don't pay attention to working class crime
2. Romanticise criminals as Robin Hoods
3. Neglect real victims of crime - WC people
3 Main Causes of crime
Lea and Young
1. Relative Deprivation
"the lethal combination is relative deprivation and individualism"
A group's collective solution to relative deprivation
Turn to crime to close 'deprivation gap'
1. Marginalised groups lack clear goals and organisation
2. Only have resentment and so turn to crime
Late Modernity, Exclusion and
2.Late modernity charactaristics.
4.Similar to.. ?
2. 1970s on - increased unemployment, marginalisation, destabilised family, individualism and relative deprivation
3. contrast between cultural inclusion and economic exclusion
4. Merton's Anomie
'Hate crimes' in late modernity can spawn from..
Relative Deprivation DOWNWARDS
Concluding phrase on late modernity...
Late Modern Society is a high crime society with a low tolerance for crime.
3 main areas
1.Policing and Control
2.Tackling Structural Causes
3. Left Realism and Governement Policy
Policing and Control
Kinsey, Lea and Young
1.90% of crimes known to police are reported by public
2.They are losing public support
3.SO rely on miltary policing and 'swamping'
Multi-agency approach is needed
Tackling subcultural causes means....
we must deal with inequality of opportunity
Left Realism and Government Policy
1. Similar to New Labour
2. 'tough on crime, tough on causes of crime'
3. New Labour's New Deal, unemployed youth, reverse exclusion
1. Henry and Milovanic - ignores corporate crime
2. Interactionists argue - rely of qualitative data
3. Subcultural theory - assume value consensus exits
4. Not all who are relatively deprived cause crime
5. Focus on high-crime in inner-city areas gives unrepresentative view
Comparing Left and Right
1. Crime is a real problem
Fear of crime is rational
2. Right Realists are Neo-Conservative
LR are Reformist Socialists
3. Blame individual self control
Tough stance against offenders
4. Blame structural inequalities
Democratic policing - create greater equality