The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Gives rigid support, protects against osmotic
- Sugar backbone with peptide side chains crosslinked
- by transpeptidase.
Cell wall/cell membrane (gram positives)?
- Major surface antigen.
- Pe ptidoglycan for support. Lipote ichoic acid
- induces T F and IL-l.
Outer membrane (gram negatives)?
- Site of endotoxin (lipopolys accharide [LPS ]);major surface antigen.
- Lipid A induces TNF and IL-l;
- 0 polysaccharide is the antigen.
- Site of oxidative and transport enzymes.
- Lipoprotein bilayer.
- Protein synthesis
- 50S and 30S subunits.
- Space between the cy topl asmic membrane and
- outer membrane in gram-negative bacteria
- Contains many hydrolytic enzymes, including
- Protects against phagocytosis
- Polysac charide (except Bacillus anthracis, which
- conta ins D-glutamate) .
- Mediate adherence of bacteria to cell surface ;
- sex pilus for ms attachment between 2 bacteria
- during conjugation.
- Resistant to dehydration, heat, and chemicals.
- Kerati n-like coat; dipicoli nic acid ;
- Contains a variety of genes for antibiotic
- resistance, enzymes, and toxins.
- Mediates adherence to surfaces, especially
- fore ign surfaces (e.g., indwelling catheters).