Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
to apply epidemiologic concepts to evaluate/study the distribution and determinants of disease fequency, injury, and disability (of mortality, morbidity, injury, and disability) in human populations
Observe and Describe
- Application of epidemiological statistics - ratios
- one number/another number X constant
one number/another number X constant
Underlying assumption of Public Health
Culture and diversity play a role in health - influenced by access to care, health literacy, and demographic variables
Levels of Maturity
- 1. dependence
- 2. independence
- 3. inter-dependence
Behaviors of one influence the behaviors of many
Applications of Epidemiology
- 1. Study the etiology of diseases, disorders, and disabilities
- 2. identify agents associated with diseases
- 3. Assist in the development of health initiatives, services, andprograms
- 4. prevent/protect and control diseases
Refers to demongraphics variables that influence the etiology such as age, gender, race, sex, socio-economic, and marital stats
specific geographic location
Specific period of time
- an event that occurs irregularity or haphazardly - variable time
- Biostatistics - time series analysis - used to determine future patterns
- the constant presence of a disease or infectious agent within a population (steady state).
- - generally a disease for which we have prevention
disease presents constantly at a high rate and in all parts of the population
The disease is more prevalent in kids than in adults (kids infect kids).
- An event of acute illness thatdoes not reach pandemic or epidemic distribution
- - confined to a small geographic location
2 or more cases - 1st case is endemic state
- the number of observed diagnosed cases in a community, state, or region is greater than expected.
- - expected number is endemic state
- - break or change in trend in a geographic region
the number of cases observed in a population is greater than expected (endemic state) in a large geographic location - country or world
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview