Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- (a) Dextrose 50% in Water (D50W)
- Dextrose 25% for pediatrics
- (b) Hyperglycemic Agent
Provides immediate source of glucose that can be rapidly used for cellular metabolism
(c) Adverse Effects
- (a) Altered LOC due to hypoglycemia
- (b) Patients without documented hypoglycemia
- (c) Not significant if above indications
50ml (25g) IV/IO may repeat one time
- 2ml/kg of D25W slow IV/IO at 10ml/min.
- May repeat one time
- (a) 30-60 sec
- (b) Depends on the degree and cause of
- (a) Verify hypoglycemia with a blood glucose
- D50W may increase cerebral ischemia or
- infarction caused by intracranial
- hemorrhage or increase cerebral edema
- in patients with normal or elevated blood
- glucose levels.
- Establish IV in largest vein possible
- Patients may experience pain, warmth or
- burning at IV site and may develop
- phlebitus, sclerosis or thrombosis of the
- Ensure IV patency by aspirating prior to
- administrations and then every 10-15ml
- during administration. Concentrated
- dextrose cause tissue necrosis if injected
- into the interstitial space.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview