Herbal Medicine 10
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Bone et al (1995:16) conducted a study of a small number of
university students which found that Echinacea was probably
efficacious in the prophylaxis and treatment of colds and
influenza, but recommended a larger sample size to better
bear this out statistically.
- Andrographis paniculata
- A common annual plant throughout India
- Clinical studies in bacterial and viral
- demonstrated good effects, implying an
- immunostimulant effect
? Anti-fertility Activity (in female mice)
Hepatoprotective and Choleretic Activities
Acute and chronic infections
- Traditionally considered to be superior to Quinine in
- the treatment of Malaria
- Toxic liver damage
- liver infections
- poor liver function
- Potential value in cardiovascular disease
- Contraindicated in pregnancy
High doses may cause
anorexia and vomiting,
Andrographis should not be used during human
pregnancy, especially in the first trimester.
- Cat's Claw Uncaria tomentosa
- Decoction of the bark is used to treat degenerative processes
- (including cancer), inflammatory conditions, gastric ulcers,
- diabetes and asthma.
Bone notes that tonics such as Astragalus and
Panax and Siberian Ginseng are contraindicated in the acute
stages of infection, as they are considered to be too
- Astragalus membranaceus was traditionally used
- as a tonic for building both vitality and blood.
- It helps stop debilitating sweating, promotes organ
- regeneration and is used for organ prolapse.
- Astragalus is beneficial in treating recurring colds,
- shortness of breath and chronic sinusitis.
- It tonifies the lungs.
Not advisable to be used in acute infections
as can exacerbate the acute stage of infection
As Astragalus may heighten immune response (or
stimulate it) and potentially cause crisis
- immunostimulatory activity
- immunomodulatory activity in relation to IgE and cell
- mediated hyper-reactivity.
- Withania to have antiinflammatory actions via immunomodualtory functions on
- complement activity, T-lymphocyte proliferation; humoral
- antibody response and cell mediated immune response
Owais etal showed Withania somniforia to have
antibacterial effects against salmonella typhimurium.
Teixeira eta suggest that Withania extract
indirectly modulates immune activity favouring an efficient
and sustained response of phagocytes in the control of
- Acute support for the immune system:
- Potential antimicrobial activity:
- Golden seal
- Chamomile, Marshmallow
Veinous return support:
- Chicken Pox - Treatment
- Itch relief (pinetarsal, calamine lotion, herbal creams) is very
- important to avoid scaring.
- Otherwise treat as per other acute infections.
Decrease viral load
Support the nervous system
- Circulatory stimulant
- Hormonal - if menstrual relation
- Sedative – if anxiety present
Specific Herbs (Antiviral)
Lemon balm (topically)
St. Johns Wort
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview