The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
From the Greek term meaning "waterfall." In healthcare language, this means progressive opacification of the lens.
From the Greek term meaning "painting". Although this word orgin is understandable, the definition is a respiratory disorder characterized by recurring episodes of paroxysmal dyspnea (difficulty breathing).
Diagnosis: The disease or condition that is named aft
The disease or condition that is named after a healthcare professional evaluates a patient's signs, symptoms, and history.
A prediction of the probably outcome of a disease or disorder.
A condition that results from an injury or disease.
A term that describes an abrupt, severe onset to a disease.
Developing slowly and lasting for a long time.
An objective finding of a disease state. (e.g. fever, high blood presssure, rash)
A subjective report of a disease (pain, itching)
Terms that are named after a person or place associated with the term.
Named after Alois Alzheimer, a German neurologyist. The disease is a progressive mental deterioration.
A body part named after a figure in Greek mythology whose one weak spot was this area of his anatomy. Tendons are bands of tissue that attach muscles to bone. The Ahilles tendon is the particular tendon that attaches the calf muscle to the heel bone (calcaneus).
- A combination of letters (often, but not always the first of significant word parts) and sometimes numbers.
- - IM: abbreviation for "intramuscular"
- - C2: second cerical vertebra ( second bone in nectk)
- Abbreviations that are also pronounceable
- - CABG: coronary artery bypass graft (a detour around a blockage in an artery of the heart)
- - TURP: transurethral resection of the prostate through the urethra)
Symbols: Graphic representation of terms
- ♀ stands for female
- ♂ stands for male
- ↑ stands for increase
- - stands for absent
- + stands for present