Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
During what process does the patient develop their initial impression of a nurse?
During admission = begin to gain a rapport with the patient
How does the nurse display a caring demeanor while admitting a patient to the hospital?
introduce themselves, and their credentials
The nurse needs to begin the process by exhibiting what type of behavior while admitting the patient?
Using the patient's surname, avoid using the patients first name
What location do most patients prefer to recover from their illness or injury?
What are some interventions that the nurse would use to reduce anxiety level?
- Explain whats happening
- allow the family to stay if allowed
- encourage patient ask questions
What are some interventions the nurse may use in dealing with a patient who just received a life threatening diagnosis?
- don't answer any questions in the hall, nursing station, or anywhere anyone can hear
- know that you can give info to the patient and ICON
- answer questions truthfully and tactfully
Why do patients where ID?
- to prevent errors
- ensure the right info is given
- 2 identifiers ( name and DOB)
- the nurse may be thinking about another patient who may be something/ be distracted/ engaging in a convo
how would the nurse describe a patient's diamond and ruby wedding band?
- yellow colored band with clear and red stones
what is subjective data? examples?
What ever the patient perceives?
pain, anxiety, feelings, history
Objective Data? Examples?
whatever is observed
Vitals, wound description, pt orientation
when should discharge process be initiated?
what injury is involved with a bad sprain?
muscle and ligament damage
which patient would be a potential candidate for amputation?
anything damaged by trauma, severe decrease in circulation
what diagnostic test would the radiologist complete for ruling out bone fracture on a patient who has a history of bone cancer
MRI - rule out pathalogical fractures
What signs and symptoms would be most concerning on an orthopedic unit?
- reddness and swelling, drainage
- cast, external fixator
- pain, itching, undercast
- total hip patient requires assistance with ambulation
how would you document pin site care for a patient in skeletal traction?
chart what cleansed with observations and treatments done
what observation would the nurse report to the physician with caring for a patient in right leg
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview