The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
3 Factors needed for resp. function
what stimulates people without COPD to breathe?
what stimulates a pt with COPD to breathe?
The hypoxic drive...O2 levels
two ways O2 is carried in the blood
- plasma measured by PaO2
- oxyhemoglobin measured by SaO2
t/f: In Carbon monoxide poisoning you get abnormally high SaO2 levels
How do you measure SaO2?
Factors that influence respiratory function
- Level of wellness: respiratory disorders, CV disorders including left sided CHF
- Developmental issues: scoliosis, obesity (there's a high correlation bt obesity and chronic bronchitis), aging
- Meds: narcotics and analgesics → ↓RR
- Lifestyle: sedentary lifestyle doesn't encourage alveolar expansion; cigarette smoking active and passive
- Environment: Air pollution has high corr. with lung cancer; high altitudes = less O2. Dangerous for COPD who rely on hypoxic drive