Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Hot, dry, red skin
- Heat stroke
- Call ambulance after placing ice compresses on the arterial pressure points
1.4-2.0 MET criteria
crafts & shaving
1.0-1.4 MET cireria
self-feeding, reading, deep breathing, table top games
T/F Isometrics are contraindicated at Stage II of Cardiac recovery
c. Morbidly obese
BMI greater than 40
BMI greater/equal to 30
- A. 25-29.5
- B. greater/= 30
- C. greater than 40
Obesity risk factors
- 1. cardiopulmonary compromise
- 2. altered biomechanics (hips, kneed, ankles, back)
- 3. pressure ulcers
- 4. lymphedema, cellulitis, skin fold dermaties
- 5. increased heat intolerance, risk of HYPERTHERMIA & heat exhaustion
- 6. risk of OT injury when using poor transfers/body mechanics when transfering.
- 1. Severe substernal pain more than 20min may radiate to neck, jaw, arm, epigastric area
- 2. dyspena, rapid respiration, SOB
- 3. Indigestion (may misinterpret for indigestion), nausea, vomiting
- 4. pain unrelieved by rest or sublingual nitroglycerin
Ind. calf is swollen, warm, & painful. What symptoms is this referring to & what should you do.
DVT, call charge nurse/get medical attention immediately.
T/F Isometric exercises are best for ind. who want to increase strength s/p angioplasty
- F-isometrics are contraindicated for ind. with hypertension or heart disease
- Contract-relax exercises & muscle contraction & holds are types of isometric exercises.
- Isotonic exercises are appropriate.
Symptoms of Scleroderma
- esophageal dysfunction
- sclerodactyly (thick, tightening of skin)
- telangiectasis (red spots)
T/F LE activities such as walking increase cardiovascular response more than UE exercises such as peeling potatoes or propelling W/C.
F- UE act. increase cardiac response more than LE.
1. Grooming while standing
2. Grooming while seated
3. Showering while standing
4. Perform light housework
5. Shaving & crafts
6. self feeding, reading, tabletop games, deep breathing
- 1. 2-3
- 2. 1-2
- 3. 3-4
- 4. 3-4
- 5. 1.4-2
- 6. 1.0-1.4
2 ways to decrease gag reflex
- 1. press down firmly on center of tongue
- 2. apply pressure distally to proximal
T/F During videofluoroscopy the OT would start with thin liquids
- F-OT starts with foods that don't present problems & then progresses to liquids. First step in introducing liquids is to start with thick liquids.
- EX: If ind. can tolerate stage II foods (mashed & pureed, then start with stage III (diced/minced) then to cereals, then to thick liquids.
T/F Profuse sweating & nausea typically accompany orthostatic hypotension
F-If pt feels dizzy, weak, nausea, sweating, and unsteady, sign of hypoglycemia.
Thromboangiitis Obliterans or Buergers disease
- diminished temperature sense, paresthesias, pain, and cold extremities.
- common in young men who smoke.
Timing OT uses to assess pt. HR
- 1-2 min prior to tx
- at cessation
- 5 min post activity.