The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
HOW ARE ORGANISMS PLACED INTO DOMAINS AND KINGDOMS?
- 1 based on cel type
- 2 ability to make food
- 3. # of cells in their body
organisms whose cells lack a nucleus
cense area in a cell that contains nucleic acids- chemical instructions that direct the cell's activities
ancient tiny organisms that thrive in harsh conditions (hot springs, very salty marshes, stomachs of cows)
HOW ARE BACTERIA AND ARCHAEA DIFFERENT?
the structure and chemical makeup of their cells
organisms with cells that contain nuclei
THE 4 EUKARYOTE KINGDOMS:
mnemonic device may be helpful
- 1 protists
- 2 fungi
- 3 plants
- 4 animals
odds and ends kingdom. some are autotrophs and some are heterotrophs
- mushrooms, molds, mildew
- Most are multicellular eukaryotes
- all fungi are heterotrophs by feeding on dead/decaying organisms
plants and animals
- plants: multicellular eukaryotes and most live on land
- animals: all are multicellular eukaryotes and are heterotrophs. they have adaptations for finding, capturing and digesting food.
WHAT GASSES WERE ABUNDANT (A LOT OF) ON ANCIENT EARTH?
- 1 nitrogen
- 2 water vapor
- 3 carbon dioxide
WHAT WAS LIFE LIKE ON EARLY EARTH?
- 1 life forms did not need o2 to survive
- 2 probably unicellular
- 3 probably lived in oceans
- 4 probably resembled the archaea found today
trace of an ancient organism that has been preserved in rock or other substance
WHAT ARE THE 3 DOMAINS OF LIFE?
- 1. bacteria
- 2. archaea
- 3. eukarya