The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- movement of molecules against the concentration gradient. moving from low to high concentration.
- *needs energy (ATP)*
no energy required
fluid in the cell
fluid outside of the cell
fluid within tissues
semi permeable membrane
- somethings can get in and out of the cell.
- *** All mammal cells are semi-permeable ***
nothing can get into and out of the cell
- anthing and everything can get in and out of the cell.
- *** Truly doesnt exist ***
- movement of molecules moving from a higher concentration to a lower concentration.
- EX- making ice-tea, the powder is the solute and the water is solvent.
Facilated diffusion (passive)
- molecules that can diffuse through the cell but not quickly and requires a carrier protein to assist.
- *still moves from a high to low concentration*
- the solvent moves instead of the solute, passive movement of water through a semi-permeable membrane from a dilute solution to a more concentrated one
- * want to have equal concentrations in and out of the cell*
have equal concentrations of solute both in and outside of the cell.
- the cell will strink because the concentration of solutes are higher outside of the cell.
- * crenation- cell strinks*
- the cell will swell because the concentration of solute is higher inside the cell.
- * the cell can lyse (explode)*
Endocytosis (two types)
phagocytosis- "cell eating" eating whole molecules
Pinocytosis- " cell drinking" ingestion of liquid particles
- moving particles outside of the cell
- * excretion of waste products*
- *mast cells- secrete histamine
- low concentration of sodium inside the cell.
- high concentration of potassium inside the cell.
- three sodium ions are exchanged for every two potassium.
- requires energy.