Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas (1954)
- -US Supreme Court declared state laws establishing seperate public schools for black and white students and denying black children equal educational opportunities unconstitutional
- -Overturned Plessy v. Ferguson of 1896 'seperate but equal'
- -Warren Court's 9-0 (chief justice earl warren)
- -de jure racial segregation was ruled a Violation of the Equal protection clause of the 14th amendment
- -Victory paved the way for integration & the civil rights movement