The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a habitat?
- The location or place where an organism lives at a given time
- a. Freshwater eg. Lakes, rivers
- b. Marine eg. Ocean, reef
- c. Estuarine eg. River mouths
What is a microhabitat?
The more localised part of a general habitat where an organism lives
What is the 'range'?
The geographic are that encloses all the habitats where a species lives
What is a niche?
- The way of life of the species. This includes where it lives, what it eats and when it feeds.
- Different species in a community in a natural habitat typically have either zero or degree of niche over lap as over time, one will be eliminated
What is the 'environment'?
- The physical, chemical and biological conditions that exist in a habitat make up the environment
- This includes biotic (living) factors pr abiotic (non-living) factors
Provide examples of biotic factors
- Competition between members of one species
Provide examples of abiotic factors
- Water- (pH level, temperature, O2 Levels, salinity)
- Temperature- air, water, soil
- Humidity- water vapour content in air
- Day length
What is a 'tolerance range'?
The extent to of variation in an environmental factor within which a species can survive