Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
done or said in a natural and often sudden way and without a lot of thought or planning
- spontaneous adjective▪ spontaneous laughter
- ▪ a spontaneous kiss/decision
- ▪ The comment was completely spontaneous.
a sweet liquid made from sugar and water
- She poured syrup all over her pancakes.
- fruit syrups
a French white wine with a lot of bubbles, drunk on special occasions
the fact of not being where you are usually expected to be
- absenceLisa will be acting as manager in Phil's absence.
a party where one or more people (usually girls) stay overnight at one person's house
- slumber party (sleepover)My 12-year-old daughter is having a slumber party tonight.
to do something to show that you remember and respect someone important or an important event in the past
- commemorateGathered all together in this church, we commemorate those who lost their lives in the war.
a barrier (as of wood or wire) to prevent escape or entry or to mark a boundary
- fenceWe put up a fence around our yard.
a large farm building for storing crops, or for keeping animals in
a special meal with large amounts of food and drink
- feast noun
- Every guest brought a different dish to the party, and we had quite a feast.
an organized gathering of people who have not been together for a long time
- reunionWe're having a family reunion next week.
an agreement to marry someone
- an engagement ring
- She surprised everyone by breaking off her yearlong engagement.
made or done with great care or with much detail : having many parts that are carefully arranged or planned
- elaborate adjective
- I see now that her behavior was all part of an elaborate plan/plot/scheme.
to lessen the harmful effects of (something)
- buffer verb
- The wall buffers the noise of the traffic.
a powerful or major influence or effect
- impact noun, verb
- The book had a huge impact when it first came out.
a clear liquid that can make you drunk, also used as a solvent (= a substance that dissolves another) and infuel and medicines:
- cough medicine that contains alcohol
- drinks that are high in alcohol
a solid substance that consists of extremely small pieces, is soft and easy to divide, and often has the same shape as the container that it is in
- curry powder
- The powder is made from the roots of the plant.
a flat heavy cooking pan with a long handle[= frying pan]
a type of shellfish that has a rough shell with two parts and that is eaten both cooked and raw
- the world is your oyster used to tell someone that they can achieve whatever they want
the strongly flavored root of a tropical plant that is used in cooking
- The recipe calls for a teaspoon of ginger.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview