Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- 1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contractictory or absurd but in reallity expresses a posible truth.
2. a self-contradictiory and false proposition.
3. any person, thing or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictiory nature.
4. an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.
- Related forms:
- -par a dox i cal, par a dox al, adjective
- -par a dox i cal ly, verb
- -par a dox i cal ness, par a dox i cal i ty, noun
- -par a dox ol o gy, noun
- 1. a royal domain; kingdom: the realm of england.
2. The region, sphere, or domain within which anything occurs, prevails, or dominates: the realm of dreams.
3. The special province or field of something or someone: the realm of physics; facets within the realm of political scientists.
- noun (used with a plural verb)
- 1. a record of events, esp. a yearly record, usually in chronological order.
2. historical records genely: the annals of war.
3. a periodical publication containing the formal reports of an organization or learned field.
- 1. composed of two or more parts, elements, or ingredients: Soap is a comound substance.
2. Grammer. of or pertaining to a compound sentence or compound-complex sentence.
- a slight degree of coloration
- a slight admixture, as of as of some qualitying property or characteristic; trace; smattering: a tinge of garlic; a tinge of anger.
- verb (used with object)
- -to impart a trace or slight degree of some color to; tint.
- -to impart a slight taste or smell to.
it's a main world
How paradoxical that the world's greates chefs have all been men! Cooking would clearly seem to be a field that lies exclusively within women's realm, yet the annals of cookeryare replete with mascluline means: brillate Savarin, Ritz, Diat, Larousse. To compound the puzzle, there are reraly been a tinge of rumor or scandal casting doubts on the masculinity of these heroes of cuisine.