The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Material that poses a threat or unreasonable risk to life, health, or property.
- Black powder
Toxic and Flammable Gases
Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- Brake Fluid
Flammable Solids, Dangerous when Wet, Spontaneously Combustible
- Calcium resinate
Oxidizing Substances and Organic Peroxides
- Lithium peroxide
- Calcium chlorite
- Pool chlorine
Toxic and Infectious Substances
- Hydrochloric acid
- Sulfuric acid
Types of Damage from Hazmats
- Thermal: heat sources, burns
- Radiological: radiation emitting
- Asphyxiation: lack of O2 due to chemical vapors, heavy gases
- Chemical: toxic or corrosive
- Etiological: biohazards
- Mechanical: bullets
- Recognize that a hazmat incident has occurred.
- Avoid contact with the hazmat substance
- Isolate the area
- Notify the appropriate authorities or response agencies.
Areas surrounding a hazardous material accident, such as hot, war, and cool zones, designated for specific rescue operations
- Area where contamination is present, generally adjacent to the accident site.
- Also known as exclusion zone.
- Only trained personnel should enter.
- Area adjacent to the hot zone, where life-saving care is performed.
- Contamination reduction zone.
- All personnel should wear protective gear
- Area adjacent to warm zone, where normal treatment is performed.
- Support zone.