Miscellaneous Psych Meds
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
List common psychostimulants used to tx ADHD (4). What is their MOA? SE? (5)
- Facilitate endogenous NT (monoamine) release
- Wt loss, tachycardia, insomnia, anxiety, HTN
What is atomoxetine? Uses? SE? (1)
- selective norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor
- Increase risk of suicide in children
What drug class is useful in treating neuroleptic-induced parkinsonism? (2)
- Anti-cholinergics (main tx)
What is first line-tx for akathisia? (2)
What are SE of anti-cholinergics? (5)
- blurry vision
- urinary retention
List psychiatric uses of beta-blockers (4)
- Performance anxiety
- Lithium-induced tremor
List SE of beta-blockers (6)
- asthma exacerbation
- masked hypoglycemia with DM
- depressed mood
What is the MOA of Naltrexone? Use?
- Mu opiod antagnoist
- Prevent EtOH replase
When do you initiate Naltrexone treatment in regards to EtOH? In regards to co-abuse of opiates?
- After pt has been detoxified
- at least 1 week after last opiate exposure
What is Acamprosate used for?
Maintaining abstinence in previously EtOH-dependent individuals - decreases relapse
What is the MOA of Disulfiram (Antabuse)?
Blocks oxidation of acetaldehyde --> increase in acetaldehyde (toxic reaction occurs w/in 5-10 mins)
What occurs when pt drinks EtOH while on Disulfiram? (6)
What is MOA of Buprenorphine? Use?
- Partial opioid agonist
- Opioid detox
What is Subutex?
What is Suboxone? Why is it useful?
- Buprenorphine and naloxone
- Prevents tablets from being used recreational IV injection
What is Buprenex?
What is the MOA of Clonidine?
CNS alpha2 adrenoreceptor agonist --> inhibits release of CNS norepinephrine
Uses of Clonidine? (4)
- Decrease S/S of opiate w/drawal
- Tourette's syndrome
- Impulsive control
What are SE of Clonidine? (3)
List cognitive enhancers that function by blocking Achesterase (4)
- Donepezil (Aricept)
- Rivastigmine (Exelon)
- Galantamine (Reminyl)
- Tacrine (Cognex)
What are SE of tacrine? (2)
- Increase in serum transaminases
- Severe hepatotoxicity
- Reserved for 2nd-line tx
What is MOA of Memantine? Uses?
- NMDA antagonist
- Tx moderate-to-sever Alzheimer's
What are psychiatric uses of T4?
Adjunct to lithium for rapid cycling bipolar disorder
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview