Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- -main religion is islam
- -mostly desert
- -India, Paskistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka
- -India is most populated
- -substitution of a offensive expression for a mild one
- -Ex. “To pass away” instead of “to die.”
- -Ex. "ethnic cleansing" instead of "genocide"
- -China, Korea, Japan
- -China is the most populated country in the world
- -Religion: Confucianism
- -Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Signapore, Cambodia
- -covered with rainforests
-Australia, New Zealand, Papa New Guinea
Dialects come from a ______
single common dialect
Languages are all related Example
- -Indo-European family: Sanskrit, Greek, Latina
- -they all came from a single source
- -relations are seen in all words
- -Ex. Latin to English
- Mater,Pater-------Mother, Father
- -largest language family in the world
largely contained within East Asia
- -Concentrated in one conventional world region
- -Sub-Saharan Africa
-Concentrated mostly in the Middle East
Concentrated specifically in Southern India
-Extent of hypothesized Altaic language family, throughout Central Asia, North Asia, Korea, and Japan
If Japan is not included in the Altaic language family, it becomes the next largest language family
Concentrated in Southeast Asia, two most populous members are Vietnamese and Cambodia
Concentrated in conventional Southeast Asia, includes Thai
If Korean is considered a separate language family, includes all of South/North Korea, and some areas of the PRC.
Includes some sub-saharan Africa, and North Africa
Concentrated in Northern Europe, includes: Hungarian, Finnish, Estonian,
They live in really cold climates along the arctic
North America and South America, also may speak in a European language
How many speakers does Indo-European family have?
- around 2.916 Billion
- -This is the family to which English and Spanish belong, as well as Hindi, Bengali, Farsi, Russian, German, etc.
English belongs to what branch of the Indo-European family
- -two main branches
- 1. North
- 2. West
Who is the world hegemon right now?
- United States, Britain was the last one
- -both have english-speaking nature